The Adventures of Kidney Boy

A Journal About Living With End Stage Renal Disease. Dialysis. Transplants. Love. Family. Friends. The Unsung Donor. This is my life, from the end of a needle to the bottom of a pill bottle.

Friday, January 1, 2021

Eighteen Years Ago

 18 years ago, I was wheeled into the ER with a BP of 220/180 and a loss of vision. I didn't know what was wrong with me. I'd been feeling sick for a while, but I just wasn't sure. So when I was told after numerous tests that I had End Stage Kidney Failure and that I'd need dialysis for the rest of my life, or I could eventually get a kidney transplant, I was... floored.

I was 24. My interests were playing guitar, writing music, hanging out and finishing up college. I wasn't prepared for this life.

But, I've lived it. For 18 years.  I've endured years of dialysis, two failed kidney transplants and now a third which we all have great hope for.

What a strange life I've lived.

Yeah. I'm sad and lonely this New Years Eve.  It's the first I have spent alone in 14 years.  Hopefully things will get better. I've been down before on New Years.. but not out.

I'm not out yet. The world is still mine.

1 comment:

  1. Stay strong. Things will definitely turn out well for u. Don't worry. And Happy New Year! 🙂

    ReplyDelete