The Adventures of Kidney Boy

A Journal About Living With End Stage Renal Disease. Dialysis. Transplants. Love. Family. Friends. The Unsung Donor. This is my life, from the end of a needle to the bottom of a pill bottle.

Monday, July 4, 2022

Simpler Times

 I drove by a section of the Old Erie Canal today - I was out for a drive by myself on this Fourth of July, and I took in the sights.  But seeing that old Erie Canal Park reminded me of just how intrigued I was by it as a kid.  We studied about it a lot in elementary school - growing up in Central New York in the 1980s, it was just part of our local history.  They seemed to be doing a lot of work then at restoring sections of the old Canal and turning it into a park - one long park that ran for miles. (36 miles, I am told as I research - from Dewitt to Rome NY) I kind of took it for granted, but looking back I can see I was a child during the time when the most money and attention was being put into this - there were parks along the way with playgrounds, pavilions and picnic areas - and often little museums about canal history. We often took Field Trips to these places - and I was just fascinated that they dug a canal across the length of NY state to transport goods in the mid 1800s. Some things they opened in the 80s are gone, but some areas and parts have thrived - just seeing this one section remembered the thrill I had as a kid - going on a field trip to such a place, and learning about the history of it.  That really thrilled me as a child - again, I wish I had that same kind of fervor and zest for life as I did when I was eight. You do lose that kind of excitement as you age and your perspective and world gets wider.  But I enjoy remembering those times - and now, I enjoy seeing my son and my daughter get excited about such kinds of things.  My son went on his first field trip to the zoo this year, and hearing him talk about it - well, I can say I lived vicariously through his excitement, his thirst for knowledge and his want for fun.  Both he and my daughter are good reminders to me of what I love and value in life and that is treasuring experience.  Treasuring learning; learning from a classroom is a necessary bore, but learning from experience is a pleasure that will continue to pay back as you age.  Here I am, 35+ years later still treasuring all the experiences I had learning about the Erie Canal from on-site visits. You can learn much from textbooks and from a classroom, but you can learn even more just by experiencing life and being open to it.  I have to remind myself of that, because I am more closed off now that I am older and curmudgeonly in my ways. But I still have much to learn, everyday, if I am willing to submit myself to the experiences that life may put in my way.  I can still learn and still be excited by it. I can't wait to see what tomorrow brings me and my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment