The Adventures of Kidney Boy

A Journal About Living With End Stage Renal Disease. Dialysis. Transplants. Love. Family. Friends. The Unsung Donor. This is my life, from the end of a needle to the bottom of a pill bottle.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Five Way Swaps

A friend of mine just posted a link to an article about a "Five Way Swap" Organ donation in California that took place recently.  Basically, it was a chain of people who all needed transplants - and had donors, but their individual donors didn't match them - so, they all "swapped" with each other, so that everyone got a transplant from a donor that matched them.

It's crazy stuff.  I'm happy to read about stuff like that, but I saw that one of the patients was 65 years old and had been waiting for five years.  I guess part of me is jealous - some that someone who is in their 60's can get a transplant, and I'm barely in my 30's, and have been waiting for a new kidney since I was in my twenties.

I just remind myself that life isn't fair; it never is.  There are worse and greater tragedies in the world - still, a piece of you can't help but be jealous for someone who gets the opportunity to live a better life.  A life off dialysis.

My waiting continues - I really hope this is my year.  I do have a feeling I'll get a transplant this year.

~Steve

No comments:

Post a Comment