The Adventures of Kidney Boy

A Journal About Living With End Stage Renal Disease. Dialysis. Transplants. Love. Family. Friends. The Unsung Donor. This is my life, from the end of a needle to the bottom of a pill bottle.

Tuesday, October 12, 2021

The World Is Changed

 It's hard to know what's just my perception and what is objective truth for all - but I definitely feel like the world is a much different place than it was just 5 years ago.  It just feels like the whole emotional and behavioral zeitgeist of the planet has shifted, and not for the better.

It's been a difficult time, especially in the last year and a half - almost two years.  But I feel more and more like people exist on the edge of a knife, and it takes a lot less of a spark to push people to act and behave more outrageously than they ever would normally.  I've seen people I would normally consider to be level headed with an even temperament just burst into rage and insanity... over essentially nothing.

People are primed to fight. And it's not good at all.  There also seems to be the opposite movement - where people are saying "Be Kind" but it really feels more like slacktivism... people espouse this philosophy but don't practice it.  They just say it, as if they will alleviate the greater symptoms.  And the apathy, in turn, worsens the overall mood even more.

It's a terrible cycle now, and I have no answers, for sure. But I do know that real change starts small - it starts personally and moves out. And often, there's no immediate reward.  We're a people of instant gratification - and this impatience doesn't breed anything good.  We need a little more action for the better and less chatter about it. Myself included. I do hope we can right the ship towards a better equilibrium.  There just needs to be more balance in the world, for people at large.  I hope it's coming for us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment