The Adventures of Kidney Boy

A Journal About Living With End Stage Renal Disease. Dialysis. Transplants. Love. Family. Friends. The Unsung Donor. This is my life, from the end of a needle to the bottom of a pill bottle.

Wednesday, December 15, 2021

Contentment and Happiness

 The pursuit of happiness is probably the most human of all experiences.  It's pretty much universal for everyone, in an esoteric sense.  It's the details that vary from person to person - what makes one person happy is not what makes another happy.  Life is often spent trying to figure out what that intangible goal is.  But more than happiness, which can be fleeting - for me, the ultimate goal is contentment.

So many people are just not content with life - they pursue that which they think makes them happy.  Often when they obtain the very goal they've been striving for, for some reason, they are unsatisfied with it. I suppose many people are looking for some kind of epiphany - something greater than just existence seems to offer.  I don't know, these are the philosophic questions that have driven men mad since the dawn of time and much better words and treatises have been written by better people than I over the years.  But, for me, feeling content in my place in this world is the ultimate goal.  The ultimate inner peace.  I've felt contentment before.  Many people will just never be content, though.  There's always something else to pursue, something else to obtain. I know I will be content again, and in many aspects of my life - I am content.  Many things that make me content are quite simple, and I really enjoy knowing that.  Others are not quite as easy, but I'm making my way.  I'm wishing everyone a little more contentment this year, during the holidays.  Take that time out to love and appreciate whatever it is you have that provides some happiness and perhaps contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment