The Adventures of Kidney Boy

A Journal About Living With End Stage Renal Disease. Dialysis. Transplants. Love. Family. Friends. The Unsung Donor. This is my life, from the end of a needle to the bottom of a pill bottle.

Thursday, September 13, 2018

This is a real problem

I've been living with End Stage Renal Disease for so long, sometimes even I forget the severity of my condition.  It's been 15, almost 16 years since I was wheeled into an ER at age 24 and told that my kidneys were no longer functioning.  I was basically a bewildered child at the time; unable to process the information that without dialysis or a transplant, I would surely and most definitely perish.

That's a lot to hit anyone in a moment.  People grapple with this kind of info everyday, though.  Sadly, I'm just another number in a population of people who are told they are chronically (and often fatally) ill.

I've managed to carve out a life for myself in the aftermath; I can tell you that my plans for myself were quite different before I became a kidney patient, but even I can't say what life would have been like.  What happened to me defined the path I've gone on, and for better or for worse, it has been an adventure.  I quite like a lot of my life; most of the things that I hate are related to my health problems.  I've been blessed with a cadre of friends, the most wonderful family, and a spouse who is amazing in so many senses.

But it's all wearing on me.  At 40, I'm feeling the weight of life a bit more heavy than I did at 24.  I have responsibilities now; my kids and my wife.  I think 90% of my day is spent thinking about how I can help and benefit them, at least for the time that I'm here.  It's hard for someone who is chronically ill to not view themselves as a lodestone, dragging down everything good around them.  It's also hard not to get in your own head about it.

I'm trying to get back in touch with the things I love about life: music, art, books, conversations, laughter, adventure... stepping outside of the comfortable places that we tend to cling to, especially when things get hard.  It is difficult, though, as I have less and less to give of myself at this moment.  I'm so tired all the time.  My mind is... foggy.  I used to think of myself as somewhat quick-witted and occasionally clever, but now I feel like my thoughts are dragged through a lake of molasses before they can even reach my vocal chords.  I stumble over finding the right words to say.  Living life in this manner is extremely difficult for me.  I feel like I'm letting down the people in my world.

I think even I have  a way of pretending that it's not as bad as it is.  Death is an actual possible outcome here, and I can't pretend like it's not.  I can't let others around me pretend it's not either.  I read today about people who died because they couldn't get dialysis treatments in the aftermath of a hurricane.  That could easily be me.

I know I'll be back on dialysis soon.  Hopefully soon we also get results of the further testing on my wife.  Maybe then we can set up a surgery for a transplant.  If something happens that prevents her from donating for health reasons, I would never be mad at her.  I'd do my best to go on, doing dialysis as long as I can until we can find another kidney or maybe I'd get another miracle call.

I've already received too many miracles for this lifetime.  There's a part of me that feels like my ticket is all punched; I've run out of favor.  But who knows?  I want to be here longer - I've got too much love to give to my family yet.

As I write this, my son walked over to me, and asked to hold my hand.  He wants to take me somewhere and show me something.  I want to follow him for years; I know he's got a lot to teach me and I have so much to teach him.

Stay kind out there.  I'm trying to learn from my mistakes and be better, not only for myself, but for the world too.

No comments:

Post a Comment